Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Final Wellness Blog Post

As I reflect on my Wellness project for this semester, I realize that I definitely need to learn more about self control, conscious eating and time management. Although I did reduce my caloric intake, I did not reduce it enough to the point of losing 10 pounds. I feel that these tactics will allow me to think about what I'm eating instead of just shoving food into my mouth thoughtlessly.
Unfortunately, there have been a lot of situations in which I have relinquished control just to eat something fun or tasty with my friends. Its easy to say, "I'll just have a burger with fries" when everyone else is getting the same thing. Sometimes certain foods just look and sound too good and I can't resist. I now realize that food should not have power over me; the role should be reversed.
I also need to be completely aware of what I'm eating at all times. Mindless eating is always a huge problem. I find that thinking about each bite and savoring it is a good technique and allows me to be mentally and physically full.
Lastly, I need to adopt some time management skills. Since I always seem to be short on time, I need to think about where I can fit healthier foods into my life and buy and prepare them well ahead of time. I need to bring food with me as much as possible so that I don't have to resort to eating out at a fast food or sit down restaurant.
I know that when I board the cruise ship in two weeks, all of this will be easier for me, but I also realize that living on a ship where people are paid to make food for you is not reality. I will continue to remember this project after I get home for the fall semester to promote wellness.

No comments: